Since returning home early from my mission, there have been some lessons that I’ve learned. This is basically a look inside the head of a prematurely returned missionary. These are lessons I had never dreamed I would need to learn, but I felt I would share them because I know I’m not the only one who has ever returned home early from a mission and I’m not the last who will return home early. So here are 4 things that I have learned since returning home early from my mission.
- YOU CAN FOCUS ON YOURSELF. In fact, especially if you have returned home early for an illness or for mental health problems, you NEED to give yourself a little time for yourself and make sure that you’re doing ok. Seriously, DO THINGS THAT MAKE YOU HAPPY! Coming home early from a mission is NOT easy. All the plans that you had for yourself, they change in one instant. One day you were out there in the service of our Father in Heaven, the next you’re sitting in the back of your parents car thinking, how did I end up here so early? You’re gonna wanna be sad. All the time. 24/7. But please don’t drown yourself in sadness. God did not design us to be sad, He designed us to have JOY! He wants us to be strong and learn from this experience. So keep picking yourself up everyday. Go get your favorite food and some ice cream! Hug your mom! Go to the temple! Allow yourself to continue to feel the spirit. Just do whatever makes you happy and ALLOW YOURSELF to be Happy. Stay close to the Lord and He will lead you through these moments. Feel His hand guide you and help you to know what to do next. TAKE YOUR TIME. Don’t rush yourself. Go and get the help you need and take it slow. Just try and understand what God’s will is for you. Also always keep smiling! Never ever forget to smile. I know. It’s so hard to smile. But even if it’s the biggest fake smile, always try to smile. It will help so much! Then at one point you’ll realize that it’s a real smile again :)
- YOU NEED TO SURROUND YOURSELF WITH GOOD PEOPLE! First off- Keep in contact with those that you met on your mission! Whether it’s your companions-other missionaries- converts- members. Trust me. They all want to hear from you. They love you so much! Don’t forget the love you have for them, I promise you that they have not forgotten you and all you did to help them. Also spend time with your family. Just let your mom hug you for as long as she wants- because not only will it help you- but it’ll help you too. Your family is feeling this just as much as you are. Trust me. Always be open with them and tell them how you feel. They will be a very big support for you through this whole thing, so don’t forget to love them and accept their help. They will love you unconditionally. Other people that will help you so much through this is your friends! The people that you surround yourself with and choose to be apart of your life are so important to who you are and how you feel. Also let your friends help you through this process. You’ll want to do it all by yourself, but you can’t. You need the Lord’s help and the help of those that surround you. Just surround yourself with those that lift you up and don’t be afraid to get back out there and do stuff with them! You don’t have to stay inside all bundled up remembering that you came home early from your mission, remember that God created us to have JOY so get out there with your friends and enjoy yourself :) You’re allowed to. I promise.
- PLEASE KEEP YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH OUR FATHER IN HEAVEN AND WITH JESUS CHRIST. Honestly these two people will help you the most through this process than anyone. They will give you peace. Christ’s atonement can also you help you through this trial. They believe in you and want the best for you. Keep praying. Keep reading the Scriptures. Keep attending the temple. Keep being a missionary!! Share your testimony- whether it be going out with the missionaries or bringing the spirit into your own home- you can ALWAYS be a missionary. Accept the church callings that come your way. Always stay involved in your relationship with Christ.
- The last lesson. Is for those who know someone who came home early. The number one thing, that no matter why they came home, LOVE THEM. This person needs to feel of your love. Because if they don’t feel it- it’ll be that much harder to be home. It’s an extremely difficult decision to come home early from a mission. They WILL have a million stories and feelings to share with you. Just let them share them. Let them talk about their silly companions and also how they’re feeling. Support them in what they want to do next. Share your testimony and love to them. The #1 thing that they need right now. Is a REAL friend. Just be there for them and let them know that you’re there. It’s like in a song from the Broadway Show “Hamilton”, “They are going through the unimaginable”. It’s hard to know what to do. But really just love and support them and you will do more for them then you expect.
Coming home early is not an easy task. I know that it’s so hard, for the missionary, for those they left in the field, and for those who await them at home.
I know that sometimes we don’t understand the plans of God. We don’t understand why we came home. But he wants us to be strong and keep following His will. He loves us so much and will help us through all the things we have to go through. I am grateful for all I learned on my mission and all that i’m learning as I have returned home.
No comments:
Post a Comment